Wednesday, April 13, 2011

How's It Going?

This is the question I've been asked most since we got home Saturday. I'm going to try and answer this for all of you that I haven't talked to personally. We are doing good. Betsy is adjusting so well to her new surroundings. When we got home Saturday Betsy played with Hugh and Henry like she had been around them as much as Sam and Ellie. She has slept all night in her own bed every night since we've been home.  We are so thankful for that:) Ellie brings her downstairs to me every morning when she wakes up. She is a great big sister!! By the way...this is our spring break week. I'm going to miss Ellie when school starts back! Betsy usually goes to bed around 8:00pm and sleeps till about 6:30am. She takes a nap everyday for a couple of hours. I have had to wake her from her naps since we have been at home because I didn't want that to interfere with her sleep at night. Let me just say that she is not at all happy when I have to do this! It is like waking her from a deep middle-of -the-night sleep. Of course, when it is the afternoon here it is early morning in China. Her little body is still adjusting to the time change. Everyday it gets better...for all of us! We are all still getting adjusted to the time. As I mentioned in my last post, Henry got sick with a stomach virus the night we got home. Sunday me, Betsy, and Henry stayed at home while everyone else went to church. It didn't take long for Henry to start feeling better...thankfully:) He and Betsy played together all morning...everything from dress up to cars. At some point Henry wanted to watch a movie, so all three of us sat down on the couch together. I was in the middle. They were both wanting me all to themselves! Neither one of them were being ugly, but each were practically right on top of me. Betsy started crying. Although she is doing so well every once in a while she will start crying, and needs my undivided attention. I think part of it is her grieving and part is just finding her place in our family. I can't imagine what might be going on in her head sometimes. I felt like I needed to comfort her, but also felt bad because Henry had been sick. Not only had he been sick the night before, but I had been away from him the past 2 1/2 weeks! Well, Betsy continued to cry and finally Henry said would you please take her downstairs so I can hear the movie? He was so sweet. I took her downstairs and held her for a while. She got better soon:) We went back upstairs to check on Henry and everything was ok for a little while. I can't remember exactly what happened next, but Betsy got sad again and this time Henry did too. We all went downstairs, got on the couch, and my parents came in with some things they had gotten us at the grocery store. When they came in all three of us were crying! I was tired, hadn't gotten a shower, and had two children who needed ALL of their mama's attention! My daddy came over and reached out for Betsy, and she went to him. I loved on Henry, and then got a shower while they watched the kids. They saved the day!! Overall Betsy is doing great, and the other kids have been so good to her. She is a very strong-willed child, but also very sweet and loving. I am so thankful that we finally have her home. I know we will face some challenges as we all adjust to our new normal, but we know that God is faithful and in control of all things!
Henry the Pirate and Betsy the Princess!

Sweet Sisters:)



3 comments:

  1. Awww....Please keep this blog because I am now officially addicted to it! So glad things are going well. Betsy sure does look like she is adjusting well. YAY for being home, huh???

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear that you've all made it home. I too would like to continue following your blog! I keep track of what's going on with Betsy so I'll know what I might expect with KeXue. How old is Betsy? KeXue turned 4 this week...and thank you again for delivering her package for us!!

    ReplyDelete