Thursday, March 31, 2011

A Beautiful Day :) (the orphanage visit post from 3/30)

This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24 Yesterday was a beautiful day. When we got up the skies were blue, the sun was shining, and it was not as cold as it had been. We knew this would be a hard day, but were thankful for the opportunity to see the place Betsy had lived the first five years of her life. We met Teresa in the lobby at 9:00am. She said it would take 30 minutes to get to the orphanage. I thought she had told me earlier that it would take an hour, so I was glad to know it wouldn't take that long. When we got to the orphanage we pulled up to a black iron gate, and there was a guard shack too. The driver honked his horn and the gate opened. We drove through and around a circular driveway to the front of the building. When we parked we saw Betsy's nana and a couple of other orphanage workers coming out to greet us.  We opened the doors to get out and Betsy's nana reached out her arms to get Betsy out. She picked her up and said something to her, and she started to cry. I thought...this is not good! I asked Teresa what she said and she kind of laughed and said her nana asked her if she wanted to stay. Teresa said Betsy told her no...she wanted her mama! I took her, held her tightly, and everything was ok. I know she was just kidding with her, but Betsy didn't think it was funny(neither did her daddy!!). We were not sure how much of the orphanage we would get to see. Teresa told me earlier that the orphanage was very private, and we might only get to see what was on the first floor where there were no children. As we walked inside Betsy's nana said we could go to the second floor to see her classroom and her bedroom. We were told we couldn't take any pictures while we were inside the building. We followed her nana upstairs to her classroom. When we walked into the room all of her friends were sitting in chairs in a circle. They were so excited to see her! There were four boys and two girls. I will never forget their sweet faces. We asked the teachers if we could pass out the suckers we brought for them. They said it would be fine. Betsy gave all of her friends a sucker. They loved the suckers!! As I looked at these precious children my heart was breaking. These children were not only Betsy's friends, but her family too. They did everything together. I thought what will happen to them? This is where I lost it! I went around to each of them, looked into their eyes, touched their faces, and prayed in my heart that one day they would each know the love of a family. When it was time to leave they all waved goodbye. We walked down the hallway and got to see the room where Betsy slept everyday and night. It was a sweet little room with about ten beds( a little smaller than a twin bed) some lockers for their clothes, and a bed for their nana. There were mattresses, blankets, and pillows on the beds. There were windows and you could see the playground outside. After we looked around we went downstairs to a conference room. Betsy's nana asked if we had any questions for her. I had a few that I had thought of since we got her. Most of the questions I had were answered the day we got her. After we talked a few minutes she said she would show us the cafeteria where the children eat their meals each day. Before we walked out into the hall I gave her some gifts we had brought for the orphanage. She thanked me and smiled. I took her hands, looked her in the face, and said thank you for loving my baby. She continued smiling and thanked me for loving her too, and giving her a family. It was a very tender moment. We all cried some more and then went down the hall to the cafeteria. She showed us the table that Betsy sat at everyday to eat her meals. Next, we walked outside to the back of the building. We took several pictures, and walked around to the front. As we walked around to the front of the building we saw all of Betsy's friends playing outside. They were so excited to see her one more time. We took a few more pictures and it was time to go. We got in the van and as we drove away the children were smiling, waving, and saying Miao Miao, Miao Miao. It was a hard day, but a blessed and beautiful day. A day only our awesome, amazing God could plan:)

8 comments:

  1. what a treasure to be able to go there. as hard as it was...i'm glad you got to see with your own eyes what she has called home until now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Julie. I am so glad you had th eopportunity to go and experience her life until now. One day, it will mean so much to her that you can tell her you met the lady who cared for her, saw where she slept, played etc. I am glad it went so well! Enjoy the rest of your trip, you'll be home soon now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. meia...a piece of the puzzle that you will be able to fill in for betsy when she begins to ask questions...God bless you for touching each of those precious children and praying for them....okay, i'm crying now i can't see the screen....kleenex PLEASE
    may you continue to see God's great plan and His finger prints on all you see and do in china.
    God bless all the orphans...God i beg You to bring them families.

    ReplyDelete
  4. okay...let me say this is not a good idea to read this at work! Where is the Kleenex?? What a wonderful blessing to be there and to see that part of her life...that up til now has been a huge blank slate for you, and now you know and you can tell her when she asks about it as she gets older. That is precious. I can't imagine seeing her friends in person. It is hard for me to look at the photos of DanNi's friends without coming apart..knowing that many of them, because of their age, will never have a family. Life is hard, but God is good...so we will pray for her little friends that one day, too, they will know the love of a family, like their friend, Betsy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this post! It breaks my heart to think about the children still there. I am so happy that Betsy is adjusting well! That is wonderful news.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have all read over this several times today. We are so thankful that you were able to visit the orphanage. I can only imagine how difficult it was, but am so thankful that you were really able to see how Betsy's life was before she became an Evans. We will keep praying!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so thankful that you got to go see and visit the orphanage. Thank you for touching and praying for families for those left behind. Crying tears over this post Meia!!! Sending you much love from the US.
    Deb Holt

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you for sharing such a sweet and private moment.

    ReplyDelete